- Clear, easy to understand training and workshops
- Custom-made online training
- Filmmaking support
- For organisations, businesses, education and individuals
My easy-to-understand training will give you the skills and confidence you need to make your own short videos. I’ve been teaching filmmaking to non-filmmakers for over 20 years. I can show you how to make movies with your mobile phone, still cameras or camcorders.
I’ve worked with all kinds of organisations from one-person businesses and youth drama groups to universities and multinational companies. I also provide 1:1 training for individuals.
My training will be custom-made to fit your specific needs, whether it’s a two-hour introduction to the basics or an in-depth course over several weeks. You’ll get a detailed PDF course booklet, and I provide follow-up advice and feedback after the course. Currently I’m only offering online training because of Covid-19 restrictions; in normal circumstances I provide on-site training throughout the UK and in Europe.
Film it Yourself is my new supported filmmaking package for organisations and businesses: I work with you to plan your movie, provide online training so you can film it yourself, and then edit it for you to a professional standard.
If you’d like to know how I can help you use film in your work, please get in touch.
Please note that I’m fully booked until early April 2022.
Can’t afford custom training? Read my guide to online filmmaking classes.
Mobile filmmaking workshop at the Goldeneye Film Festival, Tbilisi, Georgia.
Filmmaking training for businesses, nonprofits, charities, public sector bodies and higher education:
- Learn how to make powerful short videos for staff training, promoting your organisation, sharing ideas or consulting your users.
- Learn on your equipment or mine
- Use pro or consumer cameras and editing software, or iPads and iPhones
- Follow-up support and intermediate courses also available
For schools and teachers
- Training on using film and filmmaking, including film and literacy, filmmaking in Media and Film Studies, film and MFL, film and creative writing.
- Short, engaging workshops and activities including filmmaking, editing, soundtrack creation and animation.
- Filmmaking apps, resources and PDFs.
For conferences, seminars and film festivals
- Presentations and practical workshops on filmmaking, film language and film education
For youth and community groups
- Filmmaking workshops and projects, with optional accreditation on longer projects
- Training for youth workers and staff on how to run film projects with young people and communities
- Filmmaking activities for older people.
- 1:1 training tailored to your individual needs
- Follow-up feedback on your filmmaking
“Tom is a really good teacher and is able to convey a lot of technical detail without baffling his audience. Highly recommended.”
Gillian Southgate, Assistant Director, NHS R&D Northwest