- Clear, easy to understand training and workshops
- For organisations, businesses, education and individuals
- Face to face* or online.
* Face to face training is available in the UK and Europe.
My easy-to-understand training will give you the skills and confidence you need to make your own short videos. I’ve been teaching filmmaking to non-filmmakers for over 25 years. I can show you how to make movies with your mobile phone, still cameras or camcorders.
I can also provide training in specific software including iMovie, Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premiere Pro and VN Editor.
I’ve worked with all kinds of organisations from one-person businesses and youth drama groups to universities and multinational corporations. I also provide 1:1 training for individuals.
My training will be custom-made to fit your specific needs, whether it’s a two-hour introduction to the basics or an in-depth course over several weeks. You’ll get a detailed PDF course booklet, and I provide follow-up advice and feedback after the course.
I provide on-site training throughout the UK and in Europe. I’m based in South Wales.
I also provide a flexible online training and workshops for businesses, organisations, education and individuals.
If you’d like to know how I can help you use film in your work, please get in touch.
I can teach you to make films with your iPhone, iPad or Android device. More details.
Mobile filmmaking workshop at the Goldeneye Film Festival, Tbilisi, Georgia.
Filmmaking training for businesses, nonprofits, charities, public sector bodies and higher education:
- Learn how to make powerful short videos for staff training, promoting your organisation, sharing ideas or consulting your users.
- Learn on your equipment or mine
- Use pro or consumer cameras and editing software, or iPads and iPhones
- Follow-up support and intermediate courses also available.
For schools and teachers
- Training on using film and filmmaking, including film and literacy, filmmaking in Media and Film Studies, film and MFL, film and creative writing.
- Engaging workshops and activities including filmmaking, editing and soundtrack creation.
- Filmmaking apps, resources and PDFs.
For universities and higher education
- Online and face to face workshops and lectures on film language and practical filmmaking.
For conferences, seminars and film festivals
- Presentations and practical workshops on filmmaking, film language and film education
For youth and community groups
- Filmmaking workshops and projects, with optional accreditation on longer projects
- Training for youth workers and staff on how to run film projects with young people and communities
- Filmmaking activities for older people.
- 1:1 training tailored to your individual needs
- Follow-up feedback on your filmmaking
Film it Yourself: Supported Filmmaking
If you want a professional-looking film but can’t afford a professional filmmaker, Film it Yourself is an affordable alternative.
I’ll work with you to plan your film, with scripts and storyboards. Then I’ll teach you how to record good quality video and sound on your own equipment.
You film the footage yourself and send it to me.
Then I edit and finalise your film, adding colour correction, audio adjustments, graphics and titles.
“Tom is a really good teacher and is able to convey a lot of technical detail without baffling his audience. Highly recommended.”
Gillian Southgate, Assistant Director, NHS R&D Northwest